East and Southern Africa
- All across Southern and East Africa, it’s still peak game viewing season. Skies are clear and the air is dry, and with fewer tourists than during summer vacations, this is an excellent time to visit.
- September 1st marks the 19th Kwita Izina ceremony to name infant mountain gorillas born in Rwanda during the previous year.
- The great migrating herds of wildebeest are usually present in Kenya’s Masai Mara and you might see them crossing back and forth across the Mara River.
- Dry, mild conditions make it a great time to go on safari, while blue skies and clear, calm waters make Zanzibar an appealing extension for beach lovers and divers.
- In Botswana’s Chobe and Linyanti regions, you can expect to see impressive numbers of elephants.
- It’s a great time to go fishing in the Okavango Delta as water temperatures rise.
- This month is considered the best time to travel to Namibia while it’s not too hot, and the humidity is low.
- It’s the end of the dry season in Kruger, which means vegetation is sparse and it’s easier to spot animals as they congregate around permanent water holes.
- It’s the perfect time to combine a Zambia safari with some beach time in Lake Malawi.
- This is one of the best times to visit Victoria Falls. Temperatures are mild, the falls are flowing on both the Zimbabwe and Zambia sides. You can enjoy prime wildlife viewing, white-water rafting and jump into Devil’s Pool.
- September 27th – 30th coinciding with the full moon, is the annual game count in Hwange National Park. Teams of 2 – 4 people observe a waterhole, hide or pool for 24 hours and count the wildlife they see at their location. Click here to read the 2022 report.
Cape Town & Surroundings
- Spring is in the air, heralding in the most colorful time to visit the 1300-acre Kirstenbosch Botanic Gardens, the 18-acre Dylan Lewis Sculpture Garden or the 8-acre fruit and vegetable garden of Babylonstoren.
- The typically barren landscape of the Namaqualand, along the western boundary of South Africa, is transformed into a panorama of brightly colored daisies as far as the eye can see.
- If you make time to visit Cape Agulhas, the Southern Tip of Africa, you will find the surrounding area carpeted in bright yellow canola blossoms.
- The Southern African Humpback Whales are making their way up the West Coast of South Africa, putting on a show as they head towards the skeleton coast of Namibia.